A Time Capsule film is a fun & captivating, memory evoking film, created by you! Your unique moments, packaged up in a movie; using a mix of photos or video, for you to share and enjoy… forever.
I believe our everyday moments are precious and the stories of our lives are worth capturing & remembering.
I make time capsules of photos and videos of my life and now you can start to do it too.
Let’s call it a gift for yourself. A way to combine the endless photos and footage we take of “stuff” we do everyday.
This course will set you on a journey of discovery and inspiration so that you can make your own, delightful time capsules films, using what ever medium (photos or video) suits you, for you to enjoy and share forever.
Creating Time Capsules will give you plenty of simple project ideas, with tips & inspiration to make films packed with memories to have for years to come. It will ignite your creativity and be the starting point for you to carry on making these movies as part of your everyday life.
So… how does it all work?
Over the course there will be the opportunity to make three films/projects. The films will be made by you, using any kind of still or video camera… I’ll be sharing examples of films made with a DSLR and on the iPhone…
- Video tutorials, sharing basic editing in iMovie & shooting tips will guide you through the course, with lots of information to get you creating Time Capsules from start to finish.
- I will work in iMovie primarily, offering tips and showing you how I approach editing in this program. With the use of voiceovers of my films and tutorial screencasts, we will look at the basics of iMovie… how I approach editing my movies to give you the kickstart to go play and practice yourself.
- There will be guidance for shooting, with tips & examples of what you can shoot and how to approach certain aspects (some of this material will be from my other classes). There will be plenty of simple projects ideas to spark your creativity, through experimentation & play.
- Your finished projects will be shared in a Vimeo group, where participants can interact and ask questions in the forum area.
- Regular emails of encouragement will support you along the way (details of these once the course begins)
- The next course will run for 6 weeks - Friday 6th March – Friday 17th April
- Fee £79 - For currency exchange rates please visit - xe.com
Sound good? You will find creating Time Capsules films will open your eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.
So if you want to take a dip into video, photos slideshows and combining them both…
REGISTRATION IS OPEN
For details about future courses, please join my MAILING LIST.
For a special allumni rate to join the community and have access to the course materials again… please email me.
There will be the opportunity to create three projects/films. I do advise the projects are done in order, but you can pace the class and projects to your own desire or available time.
- Project one – Let’s begin gently by creating a photo slideshow – shooting a story through photos and editing into a slideshow with accompanying music. We will look at making stop motion films to show how you can make movement using stills.
- Project two – We will take our first step into video capture. There will be tips and advice to set you on this journey. We will examine shooting, selecting footage, and editing it together.
- Project three – By taking everything we have gathered and learnt from the first two projects, you will be ready to create a time capsule using both photos and video… this is where the magic starts.
What will I need?
- to set aside some time to shoot and edit for the projects.
- the ability to shoot photos and video. Any camera can be used, if you’re not that familiar with it, you’ll need time practice and play. I won’t be covering technical aspects of specific cameras. The shooting part of the course offers tips and guidance on how and what to shoot. Please feel free to use your favourite camera, whether it’s a DSLR, or hand-held video recorder or even an iPhone…or a combination.
- a computer with an editing program. This isn’t a technical editing class. It will offer an introduction to editing, showing you the basics and sharing tips; enabling you to take the leap and discover more. I will be showing you how I work in iMovie (Mac). I won’t be sharing tutorials in Windows programs, but you are welcome to edit in it and there are plenty of other online tutorials to assist you. You can, of course, use another program, a lot of the advice and tips can be easily transferred.
- access to the internet to view the course content. There will be a private group in Vimeo to share our films/projects and ask questions and share ideas.
- and lastly, but probably most importantly… a commitment to create and capture your stories and adventures.
Some questions that might be going through your mind….
I only have an iPhone or mobile device; can I make films with this?
Absolutely! Simple films can be created with these devices. They’re great to play around with, and it’s often the camera we have with us most of the time.
I’ve never shot video on my DSLR, will there be technical advice for this?
I will be sharing how I shoot and the course will share tips of what to shoot; composition ideas and shot lists. There will be plenty of encouragement to play and experiment. This class won’t show the ins and outs of shooting with a DSLR… There are plenty of online tutorials to get you started.
I have never edited a video before, will I be able to follow along?
Yes, I will share tutorials for working in iMovie. All this information should be enough for you to get started. I won’t be working in Windows Moviemaker… again, there are plenty of online tutorials available to help you with this and you’re welcome to use any editing program you are familiar with.
Do I have to have children to take part in this course?
No, you don’t have to have children to take part. Most of my films contain my children, because they are part of the memories I want to hold on to… but if you’d like to take part as an individual, and tell your individual stories… we welcome you with open arms.
How is this course different from your other classes?
This class is an updated version of the Creating Time Capsules course that was run last year… there are new editing tutorials and shooting tips/demonstrations. Some of the materials and tutorials will be used again. Being part of this class, means you will be part of the community that gathers together… previous classes have shown me, this is a wonderful experience as there is so much inspiration to gain from each others projects.
Is there a set time to be in class? Do I have to stick to deadlines for the projects?
Even though there is a schedule for when a new project starts, everyone works at different paces, so there is no set time to be in the online space or deadlines to complete your film. Once the course begins, you can work through the material at your own pace, and submit your projects into the Vimeo whenever you choose. During the course there is the opportunity to create three films…. how many you complete, is up to you.
I’d like to take part, but I don’t want to share my films of my family & children online?
The class community happens in a private group in Vimeo, within our group private films to still be added and are visible to only members of the group. Having said that, it is also possible to take part and not share any of your work. You’re welcome to be part of the group to view other members work, to get inspired and to ask questions, with no pressure to share…
I’m not sure I have enough time to create films?
Life is busy, with work and life commitments. I know this! But I know when I make pockets of time to do creative projects; the rewards are HUGE! A lot of these projects can be tackled in a small amount of time… how much time you put into the course is up to you.
If you have any further questions… pop me an email - email@example.com
Some of my films from the last couple of years are below….